Governor's Term: Two Years, or Four?
I was watching a debate on RETN last night, between former Governor Madeleine Kunin and UVM Professor Frank Bryan, regarding the state's two-year gubernatorial term.
Here is the show's description, from the RETN website:
Vermont is one of only two states that still have a two-year governor’s term. Is Vermont best served today by having statewide elected leaders who serve for only two years? Would governance in Vermont be better served by longer terms and fewer election cycles? Should legislators be elected to longer terms, as well? If terms are increased, how do we maintain a constitutional balance of power and serve Vermonters best? The Center for Research on Vermont and The Snelling Center for Government present this public discussion and debate between former Vermont Governor Madeleine Kunin and UVM Political Science Professor Frank Bryan on this important civic issue. It is anticipated that bills will be introduced in the upcoming legislative session that will call for a constitutional amendment to expand term lengths. Should such proposals be initiated? If so, what are the structural changes that should be made? This is the first of a series of activities that are planned to raise awareness and involve the public in this important deliberation about the future of the structure of Vermont state government.
The program re-airs:
3-10-2007 @ 12:00 am and 7:00 pm
3-11-2007 @ 2:00 pm
For another view, Sandy Baird did a commentary on Channel 17 on this topic, which you can listen to here.
Speaking of Channel 17, the She's Right show I did with guest Haik Bedrosian of BurlingtonPol.com will re-air this weekend:
Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 11:34 PM
Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 4:34 AM
Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 10:34 AM
Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 4:34 PM
5 comments:
Over here in NH - there's pending legislation on that topic - whether to change our governor's term from 2 to 4 years.
I actually think it would be a good idea. As it is right now, the gov spends 1/4 of his term campaigning. I also think that it should be two years after a presidential election to keep it mixed up. (so a Gov might have to work with a prez from the opposing party for 2 years).
Whadya think, Charity?
I think two years is fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I think that it is better to retain the option to "throw the bum out," as they say, every two years. I have listened to points made on both sides and I really think that the 4-year supporters have yet to make a compelling case to change it. The governor does not have to campaign until the legislature is out of session. That still leaves the whole summer and fall. This is a small state, for Pete's sake, how much campaigning does he need to do?
The more time campaigning, the less time there is to screw things up. Regardless of party. The shorter the term, the greater the accountablity.
Hmmm. I sound like a Libertarian.
Post a Comment