Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Tires to Burn

Here's an issue that people from all political stripes should be concerned about - the International Paper tire burn test.

Why they felt it necessary to run a test burn with no pollution control equipment is beyond me, but it could have something to do with the fact that the winds blow into Vermont and IP is right on the border. I bet they would have more resistance in NY if the pollution was going their way.

The Free Press has a decent editorial about it, which you can read here.

Attorney General William Sorrell, who went to court to try to stop the test burn on Vermont's behalf, has said there could be increased emissions of 21 pollutants, some carcinogenic.
After the two-week test, when the results are in, I hope that IP will take proper measures to control the pollution. It is unfortunate that in this day and age of environmental awareness a company would choose to experiment with our health.

The Freep editorial included websites for concerned people to stay informed: The Vermont Department of Health and People for Less Pollution.

Here's a Free Press news article, too.

4 comments:

TheWayfarer said...

I really wish I could get all worked up about this, but since the environMENTALLY-ILL already have our country's back to a wall, a club to our head, and have U.S. dependent on oil from the terrorists, pardon the lack of crocodile tears.
It's a good thing the time machine hasn't been invented. I'd gladly use it to go back to the 1960s and cap every last one of those mulleted, effeminate-voiced, PINK-peace bastards. I dispise treason, no matter what form it takes, and think it should be punished...Not with wrap-around jackets and lifetime sentences to nuthouses, either.
And thanks to "new tone" neo-CON attitudes like the one copped in this post, they and the ACLUnatics are running the place into the ground again!
Nice job, GOP.

Charity said...

Hey, Galt. Good to see you, even if you were ranting against me.

This is not a "new tone." I have been interested in environmental issues - to an extent - for quite some time. I have a health issue that is made better or worse depending on how many toxins I am exposed to.

I take this stuff seriously. I'm not pandering here.

For the most part, I would agree with you about the damage the environmental movement has done. I just wish the powers that be at International Paper would get their heads out of their...um, rears.

You would not tolerate someone coming into your house and putting something carcinogenic into your food. Why should I have to tolerate some factory in New York state blowing their burned-tire smoke into my lungs? Don't I have rights here?

It's not like I'm talking about holding up a building project to protect some endangered insect or something.

Anonymous said...

Geez Folks, it's just a test. You know, do something, then evaluate the results. Two weeks of smoke is a pimple on an elephants rump.
We'll see the results after the test.

Just in case you think I've being overly cavalier in this, I live directly downwind of the IP facility.

PS: Vermont ships its old tires to Maine to burn in an IP plant there.

Charity said...

I had the same reaction at first. I would assume they plan to use the proper pollution controls after the test, in which case this isn't a big deal. It merits watching, though, I think.

"Just in case you think I've being overly cavalier in this, I live directly downwind of the IP facility."

I know that there are lots of people who think this is no big deal, even though they are affected by it. I just happen to be overly neurotic about toxins. I use a chlorine filter in my shower, buy overpriced organic food, make my own soap, and other crazy things to keep my exposure down. I won't even buy frozen chicken nuggets anymore (a former staple of my kids' diet) because I really don't know what's in them. Of course, it's cheaper to make my own anyway.