Happy Days Are Here Again?
Assuming recounts don’t overturn any results, the final breakdown in the House come January will be 93 Democrats, 49 Republicans, six Progressives and two independents. The Democrats take a commanding 23-7 edge to the Senate.The lefties, who have had to endure compromise, are beside themselves with joy, I'm sure. I, on the other hand, am scared shitless.
See, I happen to be of the school of thought that an extreme left-wing agenda will tank the economy and I can't afford that.
Unlike many a left-winger, I am not a trust-fund baby from out of state. I am a poor Vermont gal, trying to raise a family of five on one income. That's not too easy. In fact, like most homeschool families, we live on a shoestring budget. This year, we are mostly "library homeschooling" because we can't even afford books. I'm not fishing for sympathy here. I'm just saying that I am genuinely scared about how we will make ends meet if the Democrats start playing around with the economy.
I certainly hope that things don't turn out as bad as I think they will. This is one very rare case where I would rather be wrong.
Extremists with unchecked power are dangerous. Didn't we hear that during the entire campaign?
The Democrats talked a good game before the election. Let's hope they weren't saying that that only applies to extremists with the opposite view of their own. Let's hope that they will not run roughshod over the governor - who the people elected by a majority - and institute an extreme left-wing agenda.
I know that we are by far not the only Vermont family that cannot afford it.
Of course, being liberals, I'm sure they will make sure there is welfare for me when we can't afford to live on our own any more.
3 comments:
Amen, sister!!
I actually found your blog through your homeschool blog, and I couldn't agree with you more! I am a poor homeschooling Texas momma feeding a family of five on one income by the grace of God, and teaching my kids through the blessing of grandparents who bought books. I'm shaking in my boots right now (Tho I am a Texan who doesn't actually wear boots!) from thinking about what could possibly happen with the Democrats solely in control of so much.
But like you said... at least they'll provide us welfare!!
Yeah, I was getting an authoritarian feel from some of what I have read of crunchy-con punditry.
I feel like libertarian is slightly strong for me, though.
I prefer libertarian-leaning conservative. It still misses a lot, though. I hate to be pigeon-holed, anyway.
I so, so badly want to sign up for the Free State Project. I don't know if we will, though. We have some pretty strong ties here.
Sorry that you lost the election. That was one of the biggest disappointments of the night for me. I would love to see the Libertarians do what the Progs have done in this state (and then some). I was really hoping they would choose Vermont for the Free State Project, but I can see why NH was a better place to start.
Who knows, maybe in the future it will spread over here!
Safety net is OK. Most conservatives believe that. Empowerment not enablement. It strips people of their human potential to give welfare without accountability.
Going liberal on the social issues which the Dems will have a party with most likely, costs our pocket book big time. The social impacts the financial.
Post a Comment