Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Democrats Back in Power

If this is supposed to be such a great day, then why is it so dark and gloomy and rainy that I just want to crawl back into bed?

A moment of silence and prayer that the leaders in Washington will not let power go to their head, but instead put the country ahead of partisanship. (That sure is long overdue.)

Have your moment, guys. You've waited a long time for this.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Graceful observation. It's a sunny day in America regardless of the weather here.

Anonymous said...

You are gracious, and I too hope it doesn't go to their heads.

Anonymous said...

I just hope the Democrats use their power wisely, and of course Charity, a good observation.

Susan said...

You're more kind than I. The only bright spot I saw this morning was the Joe Lieberman victory in CT as an independent.

TheWayfarer said...

Perhaps one day the GOP will relearn the lesson Ronald Reagan taught them in 1980: REAL Conservatism works every time it's tried, compromise doesn't. Unless of course, one's goal is to get in bed with the socialists rather than expose their mental illness and gross error.

Oh well, there's always next decade...If there's still an English-speaking electorate not dependent upon, and demanding more freebees!

Charity said...

"REAL Conservatism works every time it's tried, compromise doesn't."

It really is that simple too, Galt, which is what really pisses me off.

Charity said...

We'll see how gracious you all think I am once the Democrats start f*ing everything up. :)

Susan, the first thing I saw on the TV this morning was Lieberman sounding an aweful lot like he was ready to go back to the Dems. The Dems in the Senate did support him in the primary. It was the lefties in Conn. that wanted him out. It was good news that the voters at large rejected the liberal candidate, though.

Anonymous said...

We'd have to try reeeeeeaaaal hard to f things up as bad as the Repubs have. Took us 40 years last time, only took your guys 12.

It blows my mind how in the past, the bait-and-switch thing worked for the GOP to get people to vote against their own economic interest, especially with lower income people... vote to end abortion.. and get a capital gains tax cut. vote to stop gay marriage .... and get a huge oil company subsidy. I think people are tired of being played for suckers.

How, specifically, will the Dems f things up any more than they are now? Can things really be any worse?

Charity said...

You know, say what you want about Bush's tax cuts for the rich, but we ended up with more money in our pockets thanks to his tax cuts. And that's with me refusing the earned income tax credit, on principle.

And, yes, things can be worse. The tax cuts helped the economy. After 9/11 and a war, Bush still managed to keep us out of a recession. That was the tax cuts.

And it didn't take the Dems 40 to f things up. It just took 40 years for the Republicans to get their act together.

Anonymous said...

"REAL Conservatism works every time it's tried, compromise doesn't."

How is this true? One of the reasons the Repubs imploded is because they shut the Dems out of nearly everything.That's a big screw you to almost half the nation. Compromise would indicate having the intelligence and insight that America is a diverse place and it's by no means a 100%conservative nation. It's not even close. We're not one big Bible Belt or Wall Street.

And when has real conservatism 'worked'? In Nazi Germany?

P.S. Charity, I added you to my blog roll. God help you.

Anonymous said...

Yes, that $300 I got a few years ago will really help me pay off my $30000 share of the deficit that it caused.

The tax cuts helped the economy for whom? Halliburton? Bechtel? Carlyle Group? Nobody I know. You even mention on here how you struggle sometimes, so I don't see how you're benefitting either.

The housing boom had more to do with keeping the recession (that did happen) from geting worse. And remember, we didn't need that war in the first place. I know, I'm new here.. I want to be nice... but please give me something more than tired old GOP talking points. That fantasy is over.

Charity said...

And one more thing, speaking for myself, I do not vote GOP for social conservative reasons. I don't care that much about the issues of gay marriage or abortion, as far as legislation is concerned.

I don't buy it that I am voting against my own economic self-interest by voting Republican. Number 1: since my employment (or my husband's, actually) is dependent on the company he works for, I want them to have a lower tax burden. I want us to have a lower tax burden. I want the rich to have money to invest in the American economy. That benefits me more than taxing the rich to pay for social programs.
Number 2: I want the freedom from the government, so I want them out of the role of caretaker. You lefties complain about the erosion of privacy because you can't talk to terrorists without your phone being tapped, but you want to institute a government healthcare system, which opens us up to all kids of privacy violations. Anytime you take part in a government program, you give up some of your privacy and freedom.

Charity said...

"You even mention on here how you struggle sometimes, so I don't see how you're benefitting either."

We have a much larger tax return than we did before the tax cuts. We stand to be hurt if the tax cuts are completely rolled back. I hope that doesn't happen.

I do agree with you on one point and that is that the GOP should have been more congenial in the way they dealt with the Democrats.

By the way, the Nazi's were not conservatives. You obviously have no real sense of what American conservatism is.

And you don't have to be nice, I enjoy the challenge. I saw that you added me to your blogroll when I was over at FBC a little while ago. I added you here, too.

Anonymous said...

The Nazi's weren't conservatives? Last time I checked, fascism was about as far right on the meter as you can get. Mussolini said it was 'corporatism'. And, no I'm not really implying the current crop of Rethugs are Nazis, but they have taken us pretty close to corporatism. I know quite a bit about modern and classic American conservatism, two very different animals.

You still seem to buy into the 'trickle-down' theory. Feels like the only trickle I've seen is we're getting pissed on. Rich people are going to spend their money, regardless. We've had 26 years of it, and poverty in America has increased, not decreased.

As far as healthcare goes, I still have a lot of mixed feelings about it. I'm not a socialist. I just favor a capitalism with certain social safeguards (which has put me on the outs with a lot of my leftie friends.. I'm no anarchist, and I don't worship South American reds, although I do think Chavez has it right about Bush). I think peole have a right to make as much money as possible, but not on the backs of other people.

I'm just tired of hearing about 'market based solutions', when that very market is part of the problem to begin with. I don't have the answer to our healthcare problem. But the 'market' doesn't care if you go hungry. It exists for profit, nothing else. Until that part gets addressed, nothing is going to change.

I'd love o rant here all night back and forth, but my girl is giving me the evil eye.... this will continue.

Have a good night. You have liberal friends! That's more than you can say than your boys in D.C. right now.

Charity said...

Ha, ha! I'd hate to be them right now!

You have a good night, too.

Susan said...

Must add in my two cents.

"But the 'market' doesn't care if you go hungry. It exists for profit, nothing else. Until that part gets addressed, nothing is going to change."

You're right, the market doesn't care if I or my family go hungry. That's not the point of it. It's the "villages'" (you know, as in it takes a village) responsibilty. And by village, I don't mean government. I literally mean the village - the churches, the social organizations (such as K of C, the Masons, the Lions etc),local businesses (you'd be surprised how far a little goodwill goes in improving one's business) etc.

Also, we're a one income, small business owner, family of 9 who are not rich by any monetary definition, who benefited from the tax cuts. Thanks to a fairly decent economy, our business has expanded and we are able to hire an additional person next year. It isn't just the Walmarts of the world who benefit from the current tax cuts.