Thursday, August 17, 2006

Judge Finds NSA Program Unconstitutional

I am sure that you have all heard the big news...

A federal judge on Thursday struck down President Bush's warrantless surveillance program, saying it violated the rights to free speech and privacy, as well as the separation of powers enshrined in the Constitution.

U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor in Detroit is the first judge to rule on the legality of the National Security Agency's program, which the White House says is a key tool for fighting terrorism that has already stopped attacks.

"Plaintiffs have prevailed, and the public interest is clear, in this matter. It is the upholding of our Constitution," Taylor wrote in her 43-page opinion.

The administration said it would appeal to the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati.

"We're going to do everything we can do in the courts to allow this program to continue," Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said at a news conference in Washington.

White House press secretary Tony Snow said the Bush administration "couldn't disagree more with this ruling." He said the program carefully targets communications of suspected terrorists and "has helped stop terrorist attacks and saved American lives."

Taylor ordered an immediate halt to the program, but the government said it would ask for a stay of that order pending appeal. The American Civil Liberties Union, which brought the suit, said it would oppose a stay but agreed to delay enforcement of the injunction until Taylor hears arguments Sept. 7.

The ACLU filed the lawsuit in January on behalf of journalists, scholars and lawyers who say the program has made it difficult for them to do their jobs. They believe many of their overseas contacts are likely targets of the program, which monitors international phone calls and e-mails to or from the U.S. involving people the government suspects have terrorist links.

The blogosphere will no doubt explode with commentary regarding this decision over the next few days, so I figured I should jump in here, too. I am not big on the National Security/War on Terror type issues, not because I have no opinion or because I lack knowledge, but because that subject carries such high-level emotional baggage that I just don't want to get into it.

I did read something really, really interesting today, though. It was a comment on this post from a homeschool blog I read.

Newt Gingrich was on the Sean Hannity show, arguing that Americans will either perceive the upcoming election as a “political election” or a “historic election.” If conservatives vote their feelings this time around, the GOP is toast. They are MAD at Bush, Congress, the deficit, the border, and so much more.

But…

The dynamics are a little like Lebanon. There are plenty of Lebanese who despise or fear Hezbollah… but after Israel started attacking, those Lebanese citizens were ready to hand guns and ammo to Hezbollah to go kill Israelis. To the disgruntled conservative, every ACLU win is like another Israeli bomb.

I never really thought about it that way, but then I am no Newt Gingrich, am I?

This is going to be interesting. I have read a couple of blurbs on some right-leaning blogs that this judge is an activist from the Carter era. This could play right into the GOP's hands. If this program has foiled terrorist plots and saved American lives, as the Bush administration says, and the ACLU and some liberal activist judge wants to shut it down, the Republicans suddenly don't look so bad.

5 comments:

Haik Bedrosian said...

If you don't want the government intruding into your life, then you want them to get a warrant before they spy on you. It's that simple.

This is a no brainer. There is no event spying illegally can prevent, that spying legally cannot.

The president doesn't follow the law because he thinks he's the king.

I can't believe there's any debate about this whatsoever. A government that taps your phone and breaks into your home without cause and without permission and without due process and without telling anyone they did it, is as UN-American as it get and is exactly why the second-amendment exists.

If some NRA guy comes home and finds a government agent "sneaking and peeking" in his house without a warrant, then I would say the NRA guy would be totally justified to expel that agent at gun point, and shoot him dead if he won't leave.

Don't you think?

Charity said...

"If you don't want the government intruding into your life, then you want them to get a warrant before they spy on you. It's that simple."

Yes, it is that simple - except for the fact that I do not talk to anyone with terrorist ties, so they are not spying on me without a warrant.

Nothing is simple when it comes to preventing terrorist attacks. At the risk of sounding like a Bush Administration sock puppet, the government needs to be successful 100% of the time, the terrorists only need to succeed once to kill thousands of Americans.

Does that mean that the government needs to be able to spy without a warrant? Does that mean that the government should be able to get the job done and still go through the process of getting a warrant from the FISA court? I don't know.

It would seem that they could get the warrants from the FISA court, but I have no idea how long that procedure takes.

And there’s also the fact that the ACLU wants that process more open, too. They even say that on their website. So, I ask, does everything the government does to disrupt terrorist plots need to be out in the open? Where do we draw the line?

Haik Bedrosian said...

It would seem that they could get the warrants from the FISA court, but I have no idea how long that procedure takes.

It's been widely reported that if the government feels it needs to spy immediately, it may do so and get a FISA warrant retro-actively.

The president does not want any paper trail of his activity whatsoever. He wants total, unchecked power to do anything he wants, and right now he is breaking the law and his oath to "preserve protect and defend the constitution." Bush's behavior is totally un-American.

George Bush is a criminal and a traitor. Deal with it.

Charity said...

“George Bush is a criminal and a traitor. Deal with it.”

I’m not sure about the use of the phrase “deal with it” in that context. It just doesn’t seem to fit. It sort of implies an argument that did not actually take place.

At any rate, I will deal with it, Haik. The question is, can you?

Haik Bedrosian said...

No. I can't deal with it.