She's Right Votes (Part two)
Auditor of Accounts
Incumbent Randy Brock is the man to vote for in this race. He took office in the last election with a promise to update the Auditor's Office and find waste and fraud on state government. Brock has been doing a great job and deserves another term to continue the work that he has started. Be sure to visit his website for an account of his accomplishments and goals.
Secretary of State
I'm going to surprise a lot of people with this one, but I support Democrat Deb Markowitz for this race.
I really like how Markowitz has used the Secretary of State's office to reach out to kids and get them interested in voting and Town Meeting. I have been really impressed with that outreach effort. I use some of the publications available from her office in my homeschooling program. Getting children to participate in the electoral process is an important cause and one that Markowitz has dedicated herself to. For that, she deserves my vote - her support of same-day voter registration notwithstanding.
I have nothing against the Republican in this race, Cheryl Moomey, but I think Markowitz is doing a good job. Besides, having the Sec. of State from a different party than the Governor is a good idea, in general. And we all know Douglas is going to win.
Lieutenant Governor
Brian Dubie. Dubie is doing a fine job and he would be the best replacement for Douglas if something happened to him. I shudder to think about the possibility of a Democratically controlled legislature and a Democrat for Governor. For other of my posts on this race, see here and here.
Governor
As if my last two sections didn't give it away, for governor, I support Jim Douglas. Jim understands that we need a moderately conservative approach to state spending. Vermont is a small and expensive state to live in and Jim Douglas is the candidate with an eye on keeping the state affordable... and making it more so.
I can't overlook the glaring hypocrisy of the Vermont liberals. They decry single-party rule in Washington, but they want it for our state. The Democrats control both chambers of the state legislature and the only thing between them and your pocketbook is Jim Douglas.
And you think your taxes are high now.
Candidate Websites:
Jim Douglas - Governor
Brian Dubie - Lieutenant Governor
Deb Markowitz - Secretary of State
Randy Brock - State Auditor
Coming tomorrow, Part three: Congress (the big races).
Part one is here.
No comments:
Post a Comment