She's Right Votes (Part one)
The moment you have all been waiting for.... The She's Right endorsements.
This week, I am making my way through my absentee ballot, and you, the loyal She's Right reader, can enjoy an inside look at the process.
Today, I will start with the minor offices and work my way up to the big ones on Friday. It's going to be a spectacular week, folks.
Okay, I live in Burlington, Chittenden-3-5.
Starting with Justice of the Peace, a city-wide office, there is only one candidate you need to vote for, and that's Charity Tensel.
Actually, since I do have 15 votes and there are 42 candidates to choose from, I will also vote for the other 7 Republicans. After all, I was the Burlington City Chair and I know these people. They all get my vote. As do the two Libertarians, to show my support for what that party is doing. And independent Owen Mulligan because that guy works hard and takes his civic duty way seriously.
He was willing to stand out in the freezing cold - and I do mean freezing - to run for Inspector of Elections one year. I was there, too, running my second failed bid for City Council, against Ward 5 City Councilor Joan Shannon, who will be happy to know that I am not running again, due to the homeschooling thing. This will be the first time she has run for city council without me as an opponent.
For State Representative, I only have two choices for a two seat district. What a shame. I am happy to vote for Bill Keough, even though we disagree on some things. He always listens, though. Johanna Leddy Donovan is a little too liberal for my likings, but she was responsive the one time I contacted her. And she said that she enjoyed my writing in the Free Press (which I no longer do). I'm not ashamed to admit that stroking my ego goes a long way.
For State Senate, there are 12 people competing for the six Chittenden County seats. I really like Dennis Delaney. I met him a couple of times in the past. He's a hard worker and I like his commitment to no increased taxes and no increased fees. I just had to renew the registration on our two vehicles and it hurt. It's especially hard when the yearly registration fee is almost as much as the car is worth!
I also support, John Stewart. He has a commitment to making Vermont affordable. I also like his strong commitments to helping the homeless.
I will probably vote for all 6 Republicans. The Democrats in this state are way too liberal. It is going to cost this state far too much if they have their way.
The one candidate I would not vote for is Democrat Jim Condos. He has been perhaps the biggest proponent of extending the already financially-strapped public education system to include pre-school for 3- and 4-year-olds. This is a move that the state cannot afford, will harm small day-care providers and raise the cost of infant childcare, and will discourage parents from staying at home with their pre-schoolers.
Update: Jim Condos responds here.
The last race I am going to comment on today is State's Attorney for Chittenden County. VDB has an interview with the Democratic candidate, T.J. Donovan. It is an interesting read.
In the end, though, Donovan is a little too focused on the criminal and why they commit crime, how to help him/her.
I am more interested in a State's Attorney who is focused on the victims of crime and making sure that they are safe and the criminal is punished. I admit that there is a need for crime prevention and rehabilitation, but to me, that should not be the primary focus of the county's chief prosecutor. If Donovan wants to keep working to help the accused, he should continue in his practice as a defense lawyer.
I support John St. Francis. He is currently in his 10th year as a Deputy State's Attorney in Chittenden County, he has the experience needed for this job and has been endorsed by the Vermont Troopers Foundation and the Burlington Police Officer's Association. Be sure to read his goals from his campaign website.
Ironically, from the VDB interview:
It would make a nice transition to move Deputy State's Attorney John St. Francis into the top spot.VDB: So it would seem to make a nice transition to move a Deputy State’s Attorney into the top spot.
Donovan: [Smiling] I think so. Absolutely.
Here are the websites of the She's Right Top Picks:
John St. Francis - State's Attorney
Dennis Delaney and John Stewart - State Senate
Owen Mulligan - Justice of the Peace
Tomorrow, I will cover the state-wide races from governor on down.
Friday, I will finally reveal how I am voting for US Senate and Representative to Congress. (Even I don't know yet!)

No comments:
Post a Comment