When Good Republicans Go Bad
Once upon a time, I was a good little conservative. I put in my time for the Republican Party. I defended the Party on every issue. I voted for every Republican candidate.
Today, I encourage people to not vote Republican in the congressional elections this November. I haven’t volunteered on any campaigns this year. My views have taken a sharp turn into the libertarian fringe.
So, what happened? How does a good conservative girl go bad?
There were many things that played a role, but the main reason is that I started homeschooling.
As I said in a comment on the last post, many of us go through life not realizing how controlling the government is until we want to do something out of the mainstream, such as homeschooling.
Since most of us went to public school and send our kids there, we never think much about it. The reality is that the government is set up (especially in Vermont) with the assumption that it controls your child’s education.
If you want to homeschool, you have to submit your curriculum for approval at the start of the year and then prove that the curriculum was followed at the end of the year. Then the state Department of Education nit-picks the enrollment at random.
For example, last year I was told that the math section was unacceptable for my second-grader, but the same identical math section was fine for my third-grader. When I called, I was told that they thought it sounded too hard for a second-grader. WTF? That’s why I homeschool, partly, because the ass-backward government doesn’t want to allow people excel.
Then there is the intrusion into private information. With the new homeschool law that just passed (which allows parents who are acceptable to the state for 3 years omit the curriculum, in exchange for requiring even more information in the assessment) the state decided it has the right to require parents to prove that they have custody of their children before they can homeschool. They actually sent me a letter asking why my husband and I have a different last name than the children. The state has no right to require that information.
Most people think that the state has an interest in making sure children are educated and therefore justified in requiring homeschoolers to jump through hoops every year. Part of the problem is that they do not understand what a hassle it is. It is stressful and it takes away from what we are here to do - educate our children. I have to spend time making the sure the state is satisfied instead of doing other things that would be more beneficial to my family.
More importantly, they don’t understand is this: If a law exists to “catch the bad people” by examining everybody, then that law operates on a presumption of guilt. In this country we are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around. We are also supposed to have privacy rights.
Here is what I don’t understand. How can it be that when a woman wants to kill her child in utero terminate her pregnancy it is a constitutionally-protected, private matter, but if a woman wants to home educate her children there is no privacy and the state has the freedom to require whatever personal information it wants, including personal questions about family structure?
This is not just about homeschooling. This is a bigger issue than my inconvenience once a year.
Start looking at the different areas of your life and you will see that the government has its hands all over it. It might not matter to you if you are “normal,” but if you want to do something different, you suddenly notice.
Take gay marriage. Why is this even an issue? The government shouldn’t be regulating marriage. I remember when I was getting married, Bob and I thought it was kind of Big Brotherish that we had to get a marriage license. It is. And if we didn’t have to, then the government would not be able to say who can and can’t marry. Side note: since we got married in Massachusetts, we also had to get blood tests done before we married and the doctor had to fill out a paper for the state!
Once you start thinking about how controlling the government is, you will see it all over.
I have seen this website about the National Animal ID System many times on a Vermont homeschool message board and never though about it because it doesn’t affect me. You should read about it. The government wants to force even single animal owners to be identified with a premise ID and tag each animal with an ID. Then the owner must report every transport of the animal - to the vet, to the 4H show, etc. - and other activities, such as breeding, to a government phone number or website.
It is not just the Bush administration and their post-9/11-Patriot Act-surveillance activities, either. This government expansion has been happening for a long time. Power-hungry politicians of all stripes are guilty of it. The Republican Party used to oppose it, or so they said, but now they encourage it.
That is why I do not feel aligned with that party anymore, in addition to their out-of-control spending. That is why some of the left-wingers who read this blog find themselves in agreement with me from time to time. I am in favor of liberty over government control. That means that even with all of my conservative personal beliefs, I do not want anyone using the government to control people's personal choices, whether or not I agree with those choices.
So, that is the story of how I came to distinguish myself as a libertarian-minded, small-government conservative, instead of a rank-and-file Republican.
10 comments:
Bravo! As someone who leans left of center, but still maintains some fairly conservative notions about government and my privacy, I find I agree more often with the opinions of Libertarians than those who tow the traditional Republican Party line.
Well said, and as always - well thought out.
Mule
Charity,
As always, that was a very well written post. That is one of the reasons this left leaning sports and news dude reads your blog.
I do have a burning question that I have been meaning to ask. When it comes to homeschooling your kids; how do you ensure they get the social interaction with peers that they would not get in a traditional school system? The reason I ask is I have met kids who are homeschooled and get tremendous educations, but they have the social skills of a houseplant.
Be well,
Fells
Oh my goodness, Fells, my kids would drive me totally nuts if they didn’t get out and socialize!
They play with the kids in the neighborhood after school, play Parks and Rec. soccer, get together with other kids who homeschool, go to the children’s ministry programs at our church (that’s sort of like Sunday School, but way more fun and multimedia), and lots of other things “normal” kids do. Plus we go to the library, the grocery store, the laundromat, and anywhere else I need to go.
I think living in the city, I would have to lock them in cages if I wanted to keep them from social interaction!
I would wager that a very small number of homeschoolers keep their kids from “socialization.” (And there are plenty of kids from the public schools who lack social skills, too.)
One thing to consider - there is no time in our lives where our social situations are limited to a room full of people who are all our same age, other than in school (K-12). Homeschoolers, who interact with a mixed-age group of kids (and adults), are socialized in a way that better reflects what they will encounter the rest of their lives.
I have had many people tell me that my children are calmer and better at working out problems with other children since we started homeschooling. They have also had improvements with their self-esteem and are happier, too. Not that they were miserable and depressed social rejects before we started homeschooling!
I hope that answers your burning question. :)
Thanks Blue Mule and Fells for the compliments.
One Team, Two Jerseys. That's the DemoCRAP/CRAPublican "two" party shellgame today.
The illusion of "government of, by and for the people" is evaporating with each new regulation and band of armed, overpaid thugs with badges/goons with guns established to enforce it. Coming soon, "Can-A-Mex": Even bigger government to overtax, overregulate and spend into oblivion the inheritance of three nation-states.
Our Founding Fathers pleged their lives, fortunes and sacred honor to give U. S. a birthright of liberty. Today we are ruled by slick conmen and snake-oil-peddling tyrants who will gladly take your life and spend your fortune because they hold nothing sacred and have no concept of honor, much less honor itself.
Will people have to start disappearing, or get herded off to concentration camps before we quit ignoring the elephant in the middle of the room:
WE ARE FREE NO LONGER!
Whoa man... You need to calm down... Like seriously...
And stop taking Ayn Rand so seriously... That's not good for you...
I'll pay for you to go have a drink... Reply here with the name of your nearest bar and I'll call them and make sure they have a glass of whiskey waiting for you... I'm serious... It'll do you some good...
Nope...
Changed my mind...
I just spent a little while reading your blog, crazy man, and my offer of a drink is recinded...
Not because I'm particularly offended, mind you (and it wouldn't be the first time that I've bought a drink for an offensive lout), but because I thought I was doing it for your own good, but after seeing a little sliver of your crazy, I can see that you are well beyond the help of even the best bourbon (I like Evan Williams or Rare Breed, or, if I'm feeling ornery, Bookers)...
I don't know how to help you, and I'm sorry for that... I feel that I have let you down... I was going to help you drown your objectivist delusions of grandeur in corn whiskey, but I fear that you are already beyond the reach of such medication...
My sympathies to those who have to put up with you...
lamoillistan
*ROFPMPLMAO!!!*
Dude is WHACK!
If you ever reconsider the recinsion, I'm partial to Eco Domini Merlot, Old Parr Scotch Whiskey and-or Maker's Mark.
Thanks for the offer, though. Took up with "Mark" after being a 20-year Jack Daniel's man, but the BloggerBlaster reproved me of my wicked ways and shewed unto me the True Path, setting my feet on The Way More Perfect.
We pray thou art likewise enlightened!
Charity,
I have a question about home schooling and all of the paperwork. Do you have to complete all of the paperwork in order to qualify for some sort of accredidation or is it simply the law that every child must be educated in the same manner?
If it's the former, could you just opt out of that accredidation? If it's the latter, I agree with your post. That seems beyond the comfortable bounds of the government.
Vermont has a mandatory attendance law for children ages 6-16, so if a homeschooled child is not enrolled, he or she is considered truant and the parents can face penalties.
The home study statute includes what a parent must do to be enrolled, including submitting a curriculum with the six areas of study outlined by law.
They are: basic communication skills (which is reading, writing, and "the use of numbers," otherwise known as math), citizenship, history, and government in VT and the US, physical education and comprehensive health education, literature, the natural sciences, and fine arts.
These apply to the public and private schools as well.
The HS statute is here, with changes enacted this year, which are now the law - if anyone is interested.
Post a Comment