The Mother's Day post
Cathy Resmer has a great column in Seven Days this week entitled, “The Other Mother.” In it, she explains why, in her family, even though they are two women raising a son, only one will be honored on Mother’s Day.
It was really interesting to read about the effect of motherhood on her partner. Equally interesting was reading how some women, such as Cathy, do not feel like a “mom” just because she is a woman raising a child.
Mother’s Day is a time when we think about our mothers, the mothers we know, and what it means to be a mother. Being a mother means different things to different people, but there is no doubt that motherhood is a powerful thing - probably the only thing powerful enough to transform a “formerly radical lesbian feminist” into someone who actually enjoys filling the traditional mom role of childcare and household chores.
I know that is not a necessary criterion for being a mom, but as one who also experienced a dramatic change produced by motherhood, I could relate (not that I was ever a radical feminist lesbian).
So check it out, if you haven’t already. It is certainly worth the read. If for no other reason, for the human face it brings to the same-sex parenting issue and for the reminder that a radical feminist lesbian can actually have something in common with a right-wing conservative like me – a love of motherhood.
3 comments:
Hey Charity! Thanks for the kind words about my essay.
I think there are probably lots of things that we have in common, besides a love of parenting.
Not sure if you've read John McCain's speech from the other day. He spoke to the graduating class at Liberty University. I'll put aside my knee-jerk reaction to him speaking at Falwell's school to point out that he said some really great things. I'm not yet cynical enough to scoff at them. Yet.
Check it out.
I should also point out that despite her politics, Ann-Elise has actually always been into doing household chores. And I know she always wanted to be a mom.
Yeah, well McCain will change his mind tomorrow. No credibility....
McCain knows a thing or two about torture. What a shame he had to push so hard to get bush to agree to ban it (which he really didn't, because he used a "signing statement" to nulify the law he signed.)
Post a Comment