Thursday, November 09, 2006

Post-Election Rant

Okay, I am on a strict diet of no liberal blogs for at least one week. You people would bitch if they hung you with a new rope. You won. Shut the heck up and enjoy it, for the love of Pete.

When Bush won in 2004, I had to endure boatloads of crap from the left. The name calling, the whining, liberals' kids taunting my kids at school. But, I stayed quiet. I didn't want to gloat. After all, we won; you lost. I tried to be dignified about it.

I'm sure not everyone was as nice about it as I was and I am sorry for any gloating you may have endured, but I assure you, you are no better. The next time you call a Republican out for being less than dignified, be sure to pull out a mirror and take a look at yourself.

You see, I am 30 years old. That means that the first year I was old enough to vote was 1994. That was a damn fine year to be a Republican. I actually even got to help elect a Republican from this state that year; one born in the very same city that I was. Those were happy days.

In the years since, I have never had to experience a national defeat as a loyal Republican voter and later a party activist and chair. Until now. And it sucks.

I even broke out this old dog, which I put away when I finally accepted the fact that Bush was - as Bob (my husband) had been saying all along - not a conservative, just so I could remember what it felt like to be a winner.

bushmug

This sucks. You guys should know. Yet you fail to show even a modicum of compassion.

First I had to listen to the "either we win or there was fraud," "line up your lawyers," "Republicans are evil, rotten, dirty-trick-playing, scum-sucking, dirt bags," "we don't have a democracy," "Diebold, Diebold, Diebold" leading up to the election, with hopes that after you won, there would be at least a couple of months of peace.

No such luck.

Now I still have to listen to you complain about how awful the Republicans are, despite the fact that they didn't even insist on recounts where Democrats clearly would have. Even when they delivered gracious concession speeches calling for respect for their winning opponent, they are still somehow the bad guys.

You people are never happy.

And yet you wonder why you lose elections.

P.S. Big congratulations on your ability to win in an off-year election, in the sixth-year of an extremely unpopular President, who even most Republicans are sick of, and a war that we all want out of, even those of us who thought it was a good idea in the beginning. I love how you all call it historic, though. That's cute.

P.P.S. or P.S.S. (I can never keep that straight.) Why were there predictions of massive fraud the day before the election, but crickets on the subject now? Do the voting machines only not work when Republicans win?

More P.S. Comments to the effect of "cry me a river" will result in bodily harm. I gave you your day. Give me mine.

Okay, I am going to go take a time-out now for having a temper tantrum.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thems the sourest of sour grapes.

Sore, sore, sore looser.

Heh. You stay in time out. Don't come out until we tell you to little girl.

Oh and bring a history book with you. You might actually learn something.

Charity said...

No, not really. It would be sour grapes if I was upset about losing. I'm not. The GOP needed to lose. I've been clear about that on this blog.

I am upset about the less than gracious poor winners (or whiners) that are being total dinks about winning.

I had to listen to their crap when they lost and now when they won, too. It's irritating.

Anonymous said...

Hey other anonymous,

Given that you can't even spell "loser," I'm guessing that you're not exactly setting the world on fire yourself. You and several local bloggers are about to experience the worst kind of hangover - the one where you realize that even though "your team" won, it didn't make your own life better by even a single iota.

Now get back behind the line, the fryolator timer just went off.

Charity said...

Thanks, second anonymous.

Hardy, I can't decide whether to laugh or cry about that. I love how you took extra measures to make sure I knew you said that with humor, though. And, man, what are you doing up at 2AM? I guess life is sure different for people with no kids. The only time I am up at 2AM is if someone is puking.

Anonymous said...

Charity, you're not gonna wanna hear this, but I'm kind of enjoying the gloating, to an extent. Considering how shitty the Republicans treated all who disagreed with them when they were in power, I think it's a come-uppance of sorts. But I'll spare you , cuz I like you. ;)

Someone needs to ask Bush at his next press conference if, given the results of the elections, do a majority of Americans now want the terrorists to win? It would seem so, by his accounts.

I do feel a tiny bit sorry for the guy, knowing he's going to join that tier of presidents... Harding, Grant, Nixon. Actually, no, I don't. He deserves every bit of it.

Anonymous said...

Booohooo. We lost!! Waaaahhh.

Our leadership sucks. Sob!

Now let's take it out on "liberal bloggers" -- yea, they are to blame!

Disregard the Katrina mess, the Iraq mess, Mark Foley, Abramhof, Ann Coulter, Dicky's Duck hunting excursion, torture, water boarding, Rumsfeld ... They aren't to blame. No, it's the "liberal bloggers" !!!

Yea, let's cry about that!

Boohoo.

BlueMule said...

You know Charity, for someone who I have complimented in the past for having such logical, well-mannered and intelligent posts, your past few posts have just been plain snarky.

The reality here is that in 1994, your fellow Republicans did the same bloody things - wave the results in everybody's face, talk about how darned great they were, smacked those evil tax and spend Democrats and danced jigs on every liberal they could find. This is the nature of the beast. If, by some act of god, a hoard of independents experienced the same massive victory, I have no doubt they'd behave the same way. You really are coming off as a sore loser, which surprises me. Not that I expect you to be thrilled with the prospect of Democrats with power, but having read your blog for a few months, I guess I expected it to be a tad more civil.

Comments like "Unlike many a left-winger, I am not a trust-fund baby from out of state." do not make you look intelligent, they make you look bitter. I'm a poor Vermont guy, raised by a single mother and I've worked my rear off to get where I am - and I lean left! I take umbrage at the statement. There are plenty of right leaning trust-funders out there, too!

So, here's hoping you recover from your liberal induced depression and return to your usual quality, intelligent and well reasoned discussions. I look forward to that.

Mule

Charity said...

I appreciate you candor, Mule. Now that I think of it, back in 1994, I was gloating, too. I was an 18-year-old college student at the time, but still, I probably ticked a few people off.

You know, I am bitter that I live near people who have no clue what it is like to struggle, yet they talk down to me and tell me that they know what is best for a person with my income level and that I am voting against my own interests only because I am somehow less intelligent than they are. You're right. I am bitter.

Perhaps it would behoove me to not live a few blocks away from the likes of Howard "I hate Republicans and everything they stand for" Dean.

However, I choose not to be consumed by my bitterness. Though, occasionally it does seep out. You'll be happy to know that I do intend to return to more thoughtful posts.

I thank you for your compliments, as well.