The New Bernie Sanders
I really would like to get off the Bernie Sanders topic, but I just couldn’t resist commenting on this morning’s editorial in the Burlington Free Press. It was so apropos.
It starts our rather innocuous with such information as Bernie ran for Senate in 1970 as a candidate for the Liberty Union Party, the Senate has 100 members, Sanders will be 65 by November, blah, blah, blah.
Then I read the funniest, stupidest, most ridiculous statement ever in my whole entire life:
Sanders has differences with his opponents as well as similarities that draw him closer to the middle.The middle? The middle!!??!! WTF? Crazy Uncle Bernie – the corporations are evil spouting, pro-big government, Canadian-style healthcare loving, wealth redistributing, success demonizing, fist pounding socialist is being portrayed as someone who is “closer to the middle”? Closer to the middle than whom, Noam Chomsky?
Another interesting revelation in the column was that Sanders is now calling himself “a loud voice for the rights of the middle class” instead of for the “working people,” as is his usual riff.
Asked about this, Sanders said he considers the two groups the same.Really, that’s funny; most people thought you were talking about the poor all these years.
And then there’s this:
He made it clear that he is not a pacifist and he agrees there should be a war on terrorism.Really? Am I the only one that this comes as a shock to?
In the end, Sanders said, "people know me."Do they? So which is the real you? This new packaged politician who champions working with both parties or the shouting madman who has been protecting us from the evil corporations all these years?
I think we all know.

4 comments:
Holy mackerel. His internal polling must be showing him something that he doesn't like.
I don't believe Bernie has ever actually said corporations are evil. He often says they should pay their fair share of taxes though.
You have to admit the way you describe him is a bit cartoonish. Also, I think his schtick has included the phrase 'middle class and working people' for a number of years. It's silly to paint him as a loon. He's a reasonable person, of course, and has always been a centrist in many ways. For example, he agreed that there's no more reason to sue a gun manufacturer over a shooting death, than there is to sue a hammer manufacturer over a bludgeoning death.
If he were really as crazy as you try to make him sound, he wouldn't be our congressional representative right now.
So when he was "fighting for the rights of the working class" all this time, he really meant the middle class? What about the lower income people that have always gotten him elected? Either he doesn't care about them now, or he's got a lot of fine-tuning to do on this new schtick.
I'd also like to see any positive reference that he's made to the war on terror(ism) prior to this.
If Bernie is in the Center, then we are all in Big, Big trubble.
Bernie is a cartoon. Everytime I see him or hear him, Billy Joel's "Angry Young Man" starts playing in my head.
Acourse Bernie ain't so young any more.
Post a Comment