Will "The Contract" be Renewed?
There was a column on Town Hall today by Tim Chapman, called "The Contract with America: Renewed," about the GOP (that’s Republican Party, in case you didn’t know that) possibly re-signing onto the Contract with America. Of course, this is a plan by a small group of Republicans who are actually conservatives, but the tough part will be getting the others to sign on. See the contract only works if you can get all of your candidates to sign on to it.
You can read the column here. I think it is exciting and I would love to see the GOP get back to the roots of what gave them the power they now have. As it says in the column:
At yesterday’s press conference, Congressman John Shadegg (R-AZ), who voted for the Contract in 1994, said that “virtually every Republican in Congress was elected on a promise to curb government growth and spending.” For Shadegg and his RSC colleagues, this budget boiled down to one thing, “It is time to keep that promise.”
Actually, it’s past time to keep that promise, but I suppose that it’s better late than never.
The reason I bring this up is a good friend of mine (a very conservative friend of mine) e-mailed me some comments about this column. I have been trying to get this friend to start a blog and this rant is a perfect example of why.
It's kind of like renewing wedding vows, isn't it?
The problem is that the republicans have violated their own contract. I don't think they deserve to be re-elected in this election cycle. Ideally, they should be replaced by republicans who will do the job. Unfotunately, they'll be replaced by Democrats.
Yeah, I think the republicans can kiss the house majority good-bye, maybe even the senate majority too.
I know how bad that would be, but do you really think they've done a good job lately? They should have shut Bush down years ago, especially with that Medicare crap that was passed a couple years ago. He used billions of dollars (and future trillions!) to buy off the issues that the Dems would attack him on. He has pissed all over the republican ideals and they have let him.
I mean, it got so bad that the Dems stood up, and in total truth, attacked them for spending too much!! What an insult.
It would be nice if this would put some sense into them, but I think it's too little too late.
The only thing that scares me about them losing is what the Democrats will do. If republicans lose the majorities and then to a Kerry style wuss, gas masks and duct tape will be in everyone's closet, when we're not wearing them, that is.
So what do you think? Is this the ranting of Burlington’s next conservative blogger?

2 comments:
Remember, the Republican "Contract on America" included TERM LIMITS.
As soon as they gained power, they decided that they didn't like term limits afterall.
So, if they are going to agree to keep that original promise, I'm all for it.
I'm not a fan. The American people were lied to. The GOP promised one thing and when they gained power, they did another.
It was dishonest.
You wrote "it is because the elected representatives of the GOP failed to uphold those principles."
I have to say -- the elected leaders of the GOP are ELECTED by Republicans all over the country.
Why haven't these good Republicans voted the elected representitives out of office????
There is a primary process. If you don't like your elected officials, vote them out. Vote for someone else in the primary.
But the GOP doesn't do that. They keep nominating Delay and his ilk.
So it is the WHOLE GOP, not just the elected leaders, who have lost their way.
And still -- I appreciate the fact that you are willing to call the GOP leaders out on their failure to fulfill their promises. It shows integrity on your part.
Post a Comment