Vote Tomorrow!!
Tomorrow is the big day. Get out and vote. Polls are open from 7AM to 7PM.
If you suddenly take ill and end up in the hospital, call City Hall (865-7000). They have a little known program where two Justices of the Peace (from two different parties) will bring you a ballot so you can still vote. The reason I know about this is because when I was GOP Chair, Jo LaMarche (Asst. City Clerk) called me to get the name of some Republicans she could swear in as Justice of the Peace for a day, since there is only one Republican JP in Burlington (I think there are none now). The City Council approves their one day honor. I wonder if they can marry people on that day. I don’t think they would have time anyway because they are out delivering ballots all day.
Just think, at the end of the day tomorrow (hopefully, or else Wednesday morning) we will know who the next Mayor will be (barring any unforeseen hanging chads). I realized this morning that I am way too much into politics. I have an upset stomach and a serious case of anxiety. The same thing happened when Howard Dean was not in the gubernatorial race (for the first time in my voting life) and when Clinton was not in the presidential race (for the first time in my voting life). It is so exciting, the possibility of a real change. The excitement keeps me up the night before. I remember when we had the first election when Douglas was elected, I woke up at the crack of dawn. It was going to be the first time I could vote for a candidate I actually liked (I was not a Dwyer supporter). I was out the door to the polls at 7:00 AM sharp! Yes, I need to get a life, this I know.
Anyway, the point is – VOTE!
Oh, quick Hinda Miller story – I heard that at a house party last week she said one way she would save money is to close the library four days a week and leave it open only three. This is unsubstantiated, but holy crap! Is she an idiot? I’m sorry, but close the library?? On the bright side, it would never actually go through, I’m sure. She would have people lined up outside (and inside) City Hall protesting. I know a lot of homeschool families that practically live at the library and we have all day to picket, if needed. Real education in action. Can you imagine a better way to teach your kids about the beauty of our freedom and democracy? (Since the written word often omits the intention of the writer, that was a joke, albeit one with undertones of truth.)
Thanks for reading the irreverent (or is that irrelevant?) ramblings of Charity Tensel. I’ll be back later to post about the ballot and other last minute voting info. Right now I have children to teach. (Wait, I thought homeschool was where the kids got to watch TV all day while the mom blogged? It’s not?)

1 comment:
This blog is GREAT. I work with homeschoolers (sort of an adjunct teacher/babysitter). And * Gasp * I'm a conservative in Burlington. Until today, I thought I was the only one. Keep up the great work. I'm adding you to my bloglist.
Post a Comment