Correction
Tonight on She’s Right, I received a call from a woman from Burlington City Arts. She had heard that I had a post on this blog about City Arts' budget coming from the city coffers and wanted to correct me. She informed me that only 9% of their budget comes from the general fund. I was aware that they received only a portion of their budget from the city (their website says 15% ), but I had gotten the number I was using from the city website.
She assured me that she knows the budget, which I do not doubt, so I am here to correct my mistake.
I had looked at the Burlington City Arts Budget of $ 821,110, but I neglected to take into account the following revenues:
Charges for services:
Arts Rent/Lease $ 56,250
Arts Ticket Sales $ 61,000
Arts Concessions $ 4,500
Arts Miscellaneous $ 66,900
Miscellaneous revenues:
Burlington City Arts Donations $ 388,780
Burlington City Arts Grants $ 163,500
I apologize for my error. My original statement still remains however, that a city should cut arts before police and fire. Obviously, the arts have support from elsewhere.
I am always happy to correct any misinformation that appears on my blog. In the future, I want you all to know that you need not wait until my live show on channel 17 to bring up the error or request a correction. Feel free to either comment on the blog itself or e-mail me for immediate action.

2 comments:
Just listened to the Ch. 17 podcast...
Doreen Kraft (the City Arts caller) had mentioned also the implementation of a County government to help the strain on the city budget.
I can't understand the logic, as if you increase the size of overhead (government), how will it decrease the budget's strain and cost?
Anyway, since our new mayor elect Kiss sees the City Arts as a 'need' (as mentioned in the last mayoral debate on 3/2), he probably will make no cuts to the department, as he says on his site:
http://www.kissformayor.com/?page=8
“I will not cut vital city services.”
Yup!
Jeremy and I are very pleased that Channel 17's offering content to those of us that can't afford cable! :)
Post a Comment