A Promising Abraham Cherrix Update
Last summer, I blogged about Abraham Cherrix. A 16-year-old Virginian boy with Hodgkin's disease, who was being forced by a court at the request of a social services agency to undergo chemotherapy against the will of him and his parents. You can find those posts here.
Another judge overruled the decision and Cherrix was allowed to seek an alternative therapy, although the family is now required to report to authorities on his condition every three months until he turns 18.
I found an article this morning with an update on his condition.After six weeks of treatment in September and early October, the tumors in his neck and near his windpipe had shrunk, and he showed no active cancer, according to Dr. Arnold Smith, the physician in charge of the treatment.
The article also mentions "Abraham's Law."
Del. John Welch III, a Virginia Beach Republican, has said he will sponsor "Abraham's law" for the General Assembly session that begins in January.The bill would change the child abuse and neglect statute to state that parents of mature children with a life-threatening condition who have made a well-informed decision not to seek a particular treatment would not be considered abusive or neglectful.
I thought this might be of interest to longtime readers of She's Right and a certain self-proclaimed "civil libertarian" that agreed with the state's forced chemotherapy.
That reminds me, I am planning a post soon about the civil libertarians on the left.
No comments:
Post a Comment