Is Conservatism to Blame?
I hate to do the linky thing without my own commentary, but this post by Rod Dreher on his Crunchy Con blog is so right on the money, I had to link to it.
And for the She's Right show watchers, this month's show, which airs live on November 17 (next Friday) on Channel 17, I am going to talk about what a crunchy con is, according to the book Crunchy Cons, by Rod Dreher. Podcast will be available online the following week.
1 comment:
I kind of agree with that author. I don't fully think conservatism is to blame, it's the fantasy and faith based neo-conservatism that lost it. Wanting to sell off national lands to the highest bidder is not 'conservative' by any means. Bitching about the welfare state while handing over the keys of the treasury to mega-corps isn't either. And letting radical cleric James Dobson dictate social policy is hardly respecting the freedom that cons love to boast about. Nor is using the Constitution for toilet paper... but you get my point.
I've written about this elsewhere.. as time marches on there will always be conservatism, but I think overall it will slowly decline. If you look at history, it has always moved towards progress and inclusiveness. Conservatism in its essence is resistance to change. And that is ultimately resistance to human nature.
Post a Comment