Monday, September 04, 2006

Meeting Mark Shepard

What better way to spend a sunny Labor Day than at Oakledge Park with Republican US House candidate Mark Shepard?

Shepard showed up in his campaign RV, with his 9 year-old son, to greet a dozen or so supporters. It was a nice, intimate gathering where people could just hang out, meet Mark, and talk issues. My kids had a great time running around with Mark's son and we all enjoyed the delicious grinders the campaign brought.

It might seem like a small crowd one week before the primary election, but Mark was very optimistic. The side of his RV says, "Tell ten. We win!" He's growing support by taking the time to really talk to voters and encourage them to tell ten people about him.

I have met my share of politicians in this state from all different parties and I have yet to meet someone with such unshakable integrity as Mark Shepard.

He was talking about the way politicians today are so focused on the end that they will use any means to get there. This has led to corruption, negativity, and a failure to stand up for what they believe in. He believes that as long as he continues to always make sure the means are just, the end will fall into place.

I knew that I was going to vote for Mark Shepard before today for his views on limited government, free-market economics, personal responsibility, and individual liberty, but now I am going to make sure that I go out and tell ten more people to get out and do the same.

For more on Mark Shepard:

  • Visit his web site at www.shepardforcongress.org.
  • There was also an article in the Free Press on Sunday, written by Terri Hallenbeck, about that primary race.
  • Another great article was this one from the Vermont Guardian, written by Shay Totten.
  • Shepard faces off with Martha Rainville on Tuesday September 5 at 7:00PM on VPR's Switchboard.


7 comments:

Bob said...

Mark's the man!!
He is far and away the most straighforward candidate I have ever heard speak in Vermont or anywhere.
I'm looking forward to hearing him tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Mark Shepard is a good man. Unlike marvelous Martha, Mark Shepard represents a choice.

Tarrant's fake blog, PoliticsVermont, seems to be endorsing Martha. They don't cover Shepard's race at all.

Fells said...

I haven't met him yet, but from everything I hear, he is as straightforward as they come.

I am actually a big fan of Governor Douglas. Never before have I met a politician who is so genuinely polite and kind. I always look forward to interviewing him.

Fells

Anonymous said...

Fells: you're the epitome of the do-nothing press. Thanks for nothing.

Anonymous said...

"what better way to spend a sunny labor day than at Oakledge Park meeting Mark Shepard?"

HOw about giving birth to quinuplets? Or maybe having bamboo pushed under your fingernails?

Charity said...

How sad that you think bringing babies into this world is in the same category as torture.

Anonymous said...

Do be so frigging ridiculous.