Carmen George Speaks Out
For some reason my Recent Comments doesn't piack up comments made on old posts. (Actually, I think I know the reason.)
Carmen George left a comment the other day on the post "Burlington's Core Mission."
At 8/05/2006 05:24:29 AM, Carmen George said…
I introduced the Healthy People 2010 - Breast-feeding resolution after being invited by the Vermont Department of Health to join this national campaign.
The federal government is promoting breast-feeding because it understands the huge cost savings offered by breast-feeding. Breast-feed children reduce their risk of a long list of health problems including ear infections, childhood cancer, diabetes, SIDS, respiratory infections and intestial diseases. A women who breast-feeds reduces her risk of breast and ovarian cancer.
Two of the big expense for the City of Burlington are healthcare and disability.
It is time to get beyond the packaging and start taking the cost savings offered by breast-feeding seriously.
P.S. I was the lead sponsor on the neighborhood repaving plan. Breast-feeding received more coverage...no pun intended. :)
2 comments:
So is breastfeeding illegal in Burlington now? Is it healthier when done in public? Or is there another point to this resolution?
Sensation, controversy and of course breasts, will always get more media than important but dry topics like paving.
Whenever there's something taking up all the attention, it's important to ask "what else is going on?"
Post a Comment