Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Burlington's new Mayor

Burlington now has a new Mayor. I will withhold judgment for the time being, even if the State of the City address gave me material for at least a few posts. I'll try to remain cautiously optimistic for the time being. You can read Mayor Kiss' State if the City speech from last night in its entirety on the Burlington Free Press website here.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"But, there is still more that Burlington can and should do to encourage economic development consistent with good jobs and a bright future for city residents."

"Finally, the City of Burlington must participate more aggressively in finding a universal health care solution for its residents and employees."

Talk about two conflicting statements.

"The election last month has given us other reasons to be hopeful about the future. Burlington voters chose to support the local option tax."

Gee, I thought that was a short-term fix, not a "reason to be hopeful about the future."

Overall, it's the same old same old. He's a one-termer for sure.

Anonymous said...

"Overall, it's the same old same old. He's a one-termer for sure."
No way. The progressives will never let that happen. They are too good at getting people out to vote.
If he did lose, that would give weight to the talk that they are a party in decline.
Looks like more crumbling roads and watermain breaks for Burlington!
But at least city arts will be funded...

Anonymous said...

They got 'em all out last time and it still took the Freep article on Miller to win. "He's not Clavelle" only works the first time around.

Anonymous said...

Good point.
I wish Hinda got elected. I was looking forward to watching her offend everybody in the city over the course of her one and only term.

Haik Bedrosian said...

Instead she offended everybody over the course of her one and only mayoral campaign.

Anonymous said...

I wish that article had come out before the Dem primary, Montroll would be mayor right now. I guarantee you he and Curley will draw straws for '09. Kiss is just out of his depth.

Haik Bedrosian said...

Montroll's so dull. Nice guy, but dull. What was his campaign based on? Firing Steve Goodkind? Not good enough.

Curley impressed me in the debates, but he would have been out of his depth trying to run the city.

We got the right mayor.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Kiss is real firecracker. You were the one who said that he couldn't even articulate the differences between his own positions and Miller's. Even his speech last night sounded like a list of Progressive talking points that he was reading for the first time. "I heard there was some problem with the city pension or something? I don't know, I've got a guy who's going to look at that. Uh... universal health care! Affordable housing!" What a joke.

There is a possibility that he could succeed as mayor - like there's a possibility that Ted Kennedy could hit a home run off of Curt Schilling on the first pitch. They'd probably take the same approach, close their eyes and swing real hard.

Montroll and a few other people know what the city's problems are, and he doesn't carry the baggage of representing the party that caused them. He's got two and a half years to sit back and watch them bubble to the surface, then he or someone like him will jump in, point them out, and take over. Piece of cake.

Fells said...

Honestly, I think Kiss will make a good mayor, but this is opinion only. Kiss doesn't get rattled, is very laid back, and has the intelligence to handle the job.

What will be interesting is to see how he handles the Burlington budget problems, and the continuing issues with the schools. Experience on the state level is one thing, but running a city is another.

Fells