Neighborhood schools
Okay, I just had to post this because it is so funny…
I was giving my husband the run down of how he should vote on Tuesday – just kidding – I was going over what would be on the ballot and giving him the low-down on the issues and I was using the Clavelle website as a reference, since I had just posted it here (see preceding post).
When I got to this:
7. NEIGHBORHOOD ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS: Shall the Burlington School District be advised to continue to maintain its current configuration of six neighborhood elementary schools? We have worked hard to create community schools in Burlington. We cannot retreat from that commitment. We need to make certain that all of Burlington's kids receive a quality education. By doing so, we will attract more families to Burlington neighborhoods and make our public schools the preferred choice.
He said, “Attract more families? If that’s the case, then why is enrollment dropping? They already have the neighborhood schools, so why aren’t they attracting more families now?? What a load of BS!”
It’s so true. This is probably funnier to me because I know him. He’s not very into politics, so I think it is a riot when he rips on politicians. I guess you had to be there.
We are really negative about the public schools these days. We took our two boys out at the beginning of this year and I have been homeschooling them. From our perspective, the schools were a huge disappointment. There were some great staff people there, but over all, public education stinks. And even though we have to come up with the extra $600+ a year for homeschooling supplies, our rent is still going up due to increased property taxes to pay for a system that failed our children. It is frustrating. Especially since the fix would involve a huge paradigm shift that probably isn’t ever coming.
Okay, now this has digressed into an anti-public school rant. It’s way past my bedtime. ‘Night.
No comments:
Post a Comment