Conservatives don't care about the poor?
First, a couple of housekeeping items...
For those who might not have noticed, I am now posting under my real name, Charity, instead of "She's Right". This is really just a matter of consolidating all of my blogs under one name, so I don't have to keep logging in and out. (I have a crafting blog and a random thoughts-type of blog, too. Please, people, I have a life outside politics.)
Also, for anonymous posters, you can click on "other" instead of "anonymous" and fill in any name without creating a blogger account. That way I can see who is who. You can even name yourself anonymous 1, anonymous 2, etc., if you want.
Anyway, moving on...
The most common misconception about conservatives is that we don't care about the poor. (The way this is reconciled with the fact that there are so many non-rich conservatives is by calling the rest of us stupid. It's really quite flattering.)
I wrote this long thing about my background and current situation and why I am conservative even though I've always been poor to semi-poor my whole life. Then I thought, first, do I really want to share my life story? Second, do these people really want to hear my life story? And, third, why bother? Once I prove that I am or have been sufficiently poor to not "hate poor people," I'll just be called stupid for "voting against my self-interest." So, I concluded that I shouldn't bother.
Instead, I'd like to ask why people think that conservatives do not care about the poor, only care about the rich, don't want to give everyone a "fair chance," or any other of the multitude of anti-conservative slogans I might have missed.
As I have said before, you have to first understand people's misconceptions before you can correct them. This is one thing I never really understood. Instead of offering my best guess, I thought I would give you liberal readers a chance to offer me your best explanation.
Any takers?
12 comments:
The notion that conservatives hate and repress poor people is ridiculous, but people always need someone to blame other than themselves.
Thank you for providing an open forum for discussion, Charity. We need more of them, now that Haik Bedrosian and Bernie's blog have begun deleting dissenting opinions.
I agree. Thanks Charity.
One reason I think conservatives get labeled anti-poor, is because they refuse to acknowledge that health care is a right, and not a privilege. Conservative seem to want to keep a certain percentage of people uninsured.
BTW, I delete non-dissenting opinions too ;)
"Conservative seem to want to keep a certain percentage of people uninsured."
Why do you say that, because they don't want to try a single-payer experiment in Vermont while we're still cleaning up after the failed school funding experiment? What's your alternative to our current system, Clavelle's "plan"?
"I delete non-dissenting opinions too"
Somehow I doubt that. I understand, though - it must be embarrassing to get schooled so badly.
It's nice to read a *real* blog that doesn't just consist of the owner talking to him/herself.
Haik, you're an interesting character, but thanks for the feedback.
My plan is to allow posters to give their answers with out my rebuttal (as painful as it is). I will address them all in a later post.
Conservatives do not consider healthcare a right is added to the list.
There must be more than that. Anyone else?
Darn you anonymous1! You're lucky we're on Charity's site or I'd totally delete your comments! :)
And btw, doing *this* is like the blogger equivalent of that stupid finger "quotes" gesture.
I've seen this *device* used a lot on 802 online. Let me just say, I think it's *stupid*
Oh yeah, it's much worse than posting fake anonymous messages on your own blog, or deleting comments when you get out of your depth in a debate.
At least I admit my identity.
Oh I'd say roughly half the time, if that.
Haik, are you arguing with yourself on my blog under the name anonymous 1?
BTW, I happen to like the stupid finger quotes gesture.
Thanks for reading She's Right. *Visit* often!
It's true. I am "anonymous 1." Sorry to use your blog this way. I'll stop, but I can't speak for "anonymous 1." Ok the finger quote asterisks are ok, I don't really care. I was just trying to piss off "anonymous1" Sorry!
Hey "Anonymous1" If you want to keep fighting... let's do it over on my fake blog. Charity's trying to talk about conservatism here and we're being rude.
I've got a better idea, why don't you make some substantive comments to the thoughtful posts on this fine blog? If you want to argue on your own blog you've got all of your alter egos to do it with.
I'd jump in here but it looks like Charity has her hands full with all you goofballs. (Haik is a goofball but I like him a lot).
Post a Comment